Welcome!

If you'd like to work with me personally check out my site: http://www.wix.com/alexkip/trainer

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Power of Music

Crap I forgot my iPod at home!  Uhhhhh this is going to be so boring.  As I enter the weight room the silence is deafening.  All I can hear is the clanging of weights, the grunting of old men, and the chatter of teenage complacency.  I start my workout anyways but the spark is missing.  I can’t seem to get going.  Fifteen minutes pass and it’s felt like an hour.  Mental note:  Don’t forget your music next time!


Being in this predicament made me question if and why music helps people cope with exercise?  There is no doubt that music dramatically accentuates any workout.  Not only does music help most people confront exercise, but it also makes people think about exercise in a positive way.  Choosing the right music is crucial because it directly reflects your mood, tempo, and energy towards the workout.  Let’s admit it, exercising is not always fun.  Instead think of exercise as exploring a new album.  Who has time to listen to a new album at home?  Kill two birds with one stone!

By distracting yourself with music you often don’t realize how long you’ve spent exercising.  Music will distract your mind and before you know it the hour is up.  Just hit the “play” button on your iPod and breeze through your routine. 

If you need motivation go to a song that lyrically or rhythmically propels you.  Whenever I’m feeling tired I flip on Los’ cover of “6’ 7.”  The instant snap of the snares, and syncopation of the beat instantly makes me feel bigger than I am.  Then he raps:
         
“Okay my work out devastating it petrify haters
I personal train amazing then I exercise greatness
You aint sh** my set reppin when its war on
I have two people pushup and show you four arms”

When I hear those lyrics I feel like I can conquer the world!  If that doesn’t work I’ll quickly flip to “Right Above It” by Lil Wayne and Drake, or “Dig” by Incubus.  I know my go-to songs, you should too...   

Vary your music to vary your workout.  During your warm-up have something a little slower; during your intense workout have something to pump you up.  It’s just you and your music! 

Lastly, it’s been scientifically proven that people completed 10 additional reps when they exercised to their favorite music!  What get’s you going?  Just drop it in a playlist, hit “play,” and GO!  



No comments:

Post a Comment